At the Bottom of the Steps

At the Bottom of the Steps
watercolor

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's the Good Word

Got an email from a home schooling site today about the ten words we should use with our preschoolers every day. I think they are good words to use with EVERYONE every day. The words are:

Thank you. Sounds like a no-brainer, doesn’t it? Well, it is. I mean it should become instinct to say thank you. The harder thing is to be really grateful. And I admit that sometimes when I am not feeling kindly to a child, I say thank you with a snarl in my voice. Being polite. Word but not intention. I mean, the kid has just hammered two horseshoe nails into your 100-year-old stair banister and told you that the teacher’s complaints about his school behavior were lies. He hands you a spoon so you can stir the eggs into the casserole and you’re supposed to say thank you and mean it? In a word: yeah.

Tell me more: Okay, this kid can go on for twenty minutes about the booger on the principal’s nose before he tells you that the science class did a special project. And you’re supposed to encourage him to elaborate? Again, yeah.

Please. Another no brainer. Except, this kid won’t respond to please. You have to follow it up with a raised voice and a threat or two. Okay. But I guess we’re supposed to start with the please thing.

How about a hug? Okay. Maybe not with everyone. But lots of grownups need them too and many never get them.

The others are: Let’s all pitch in, you can do it, how can I help, it’s time to…(this one is about setting boundaries) and I love you.

The thing is, saying these things isn’t enough. You have to mean them. And one other thing: God could use a few of these sentiments from us, too.

Thank you God. Please help me. I know YOU can do it, so I won’t worry. The pastor read some good words from You on Sunday. Tell me more. You expect your people to be your representatives on earth. How can I help? Let’s all pitch in.

And the #1 thing we could tell God every day? I love you. How about a hug?

No comments: