At the Bottom of the Steps

At the Bottom of the Steps
watercolor

Monday, November 12, 2007

FREAKED












I'm excited. Kind of. Well, maybe excited is not the word. Maybe more...anticipating.

No, not that either. Not anticipating. It's more...freaked. That's the word. Freaked.
This year, my husband asked me if I wanted to see the Ozark Country Christmas. I did.

He said it was the week after Thanksgiving and we'd drive to Branson, MO. for the event, then swing back through Springfield to go to the races at the Springfield Speedway ( the real reason for the invitation.) Danny Lasoski will be there.
For anyone who doesn't know Danny Lasoski, he's a very successful and famous sprint car racer.

But I don't care what the reason is. And I like races too.


And Branson is my favorite place on earth. It's a family friendly, fantasy world. We've been going there for summer vacations for 16 years, but have never seen their Christmas lights or shows. This is our year!

But then Charlie found out we'd have to leave on Thanksgiving day, not the week after.
I'VE NEVER BEEN AWAY FROM MY FAMILY ON A HOLIDAY.

THAT'S WHY I'M FREAKED.

All these years I've thought we hosted dinners at holidays for the kids. Now I know they're for me. I love my family. I love every screaming kid, every posturing teen, every son-in-law glued to the TV watching the game. I love my girls, trying to outdo one another with their holiday recipes. ( One year our oldest daughter got our elderly aunt drunk on brandied sweet potatoes...the alcohol doesn't burn off if they don't cook long enough.) I LOVE MY GANG.

This year, I'll be in Branson for Thanksgiving. The kids said "Go. It's only Thanksgiving, It would be different of it was Christmas or Easter." So on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we'll have our family dinner. On Thanksgiving, we'll hit the road at 3 am for the twelve-plus hour drive.

And we'll go shopping at Branson Landing, a really world-class outdoor mall. We'll see the live nativity and listen to Southern gospel and stroll hand-in-hand through the million lights at Silver Dollar City.

The thing is, I've been thinking more about people who don't have families. People who don't freak at the thought of a holiday away. People who would give their right arms to have screaming babies and peevish teens and snoozing grandpas around them...to have someone who forgets to bake the yams long enough and someone who always overcooks the turkey.


And I guess you don't have to celebrate family on any special day. When you're blessed with a bunch like mine, it's always Thanksgiving.




No comments: