At the Bottom of the Steps

At the Bottom of the Steps
watercolor

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Electric thoughts

I needed some electrical work done, so I called an electrician. Not a hard choice; there were only three listed for our area. He said he'd try to work us in. The work didn't need to be finished for three weeks, so that was fine.
He came and looked the job over. He even did a couple of things. He said he'd be back, but he didn't say when. That should have tipped me off. But I am naive and I still believe people who tell me things face-to-face and business-like.
I called him three weeks later. He said they were really busy. They had some outside work to get out of the way before the weather changed. He said they would come the first day it rained. In this country, that could mean next spring, but I trusted him. After all, he is a businessman. The rain came...they didn't.
I called him the other day...almost two months after I first contacted his company. He said ( and this is hard to believe) that he had intended to call me that very day! He would come by the end of the week. The trouble is, he didn't say what month.
I'm getting put out.
I know when he'll show up. He'll drive his pickup truck up behind the tanker that's pumping water on the last of the flames that lick at what's left of our house. He'll get out and walk up to where we stand shivering in the cold, and he'll say ( with a straight face) " Well, we can get started on this next week."

No comments: