At the Bottom of the Steps

At the Bottom of the Steps
watercolor

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Death By Hot Tub

A few years ago, we went to Branson and stayed in a condo complex. One of the features of the units was a jet tub. A huge jet tub in a glass enclosed cubicle. That jet-tub ( or the cubicle) was our undoing. Who knew you couldn't use bubble bath in a jet tub?
It started out innocently enough. We stepped into the tub and hit the jet button.It stuck a little, and we had to coax it to life, but when it whirred into action, well...
Anyway, the bubble bath smelled like lavender--soothing lavender---and the bubbles sprouted rainbows as they rose. The water poured in like a warm waterfall and we giggled in wonder. We had never been in a spa-tub before. The bubbles rose, and rose...and...rose.
We shut off the tap. The bubbles kept rising.
We felt for the on/off button, now completely covered in suds. It had disappeared.
Aliens had zapped it away, and now--like an old Star Trek episode I remembered--they were watching our reactions to this life/death struggle, studying our survival instincts.
And it was a life/death struggle. As the bubbles rose to my chin. I got to my knees. We finally found the switch but it was stuck on. I thought, momentarily, about opening the cubicle door, but the bubbles were above the tub level and they would have cascaded out onto the floor and all that expensive carpet, and the complex would charge us...so I stretched my neck as far as I could and tried to keep the soap out of my nostrils.
My life passed before me and I knew I was going to die ( either that, or I was hallucinating from all the chemicals in their bubble bath.)
I thought about screaming for help, but the chances of someone hearing me were slim...which was more than I was... sitting in my all together in a tub of murderous bubbles. Did I really want the firemen to find me this way? The answer to that was a resounding NO! ( not alive, anyway. Dead, I didn't care.)
That's when the motor shut off of its own accord. Maybe it came unstuck, or maybe the aliens got bored. But we were saved. We found the drain and let the water out of the tub.
The reason this episode came to mind is the morning news. The President is hot under the collar because "they" wont let him pass "his" agenda. His policies would, he says, fix everything. Without them, we are sure to go under.
"They" ( the other side) are sure of the answer. It lies in their agenda, which he won't let them pass. Meanwhile, the debt grows higher, our kid's scores in math and science and English slip lower and lower,the hungry get hungrier, insurance rates get higher, banks get greedier...all in spite of throwing trillions of dollars at the problems.
Who knew you couldn't use bubble bath in a hot tub?

No comments: