At the Bottom of the Steps

At the Bottom of the Steps
watercolor

Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Husband's Affair. A Remote Chance To Salvage My Relationship?

Charlie is in the grips of a tumultuous relationship.
I've watched it grow, and I fear that my husband is headed for nothing but heartache. I could give in to jealousy, but it would be of no use. The object of his affections can offer him things I can't.
For one thing, I am not sleek. I've noticed the way his hands caress the slim form of his beloved... the tight, bulgeless lines.
And the object of Charlie's fickle emotions is so available. He does not want for company or attention. But with all that, my rival is not demanding.
Maybe that is where I have gone wrong. I sometimes have my own agenda, and I ask for chunks of his time. I require him to answer my questions.
Oh, his love asks for input as well, but only when he initiates the contact.
The relationship offers him such peace that he sometimes drifts off to sleep embracing his beloved. And when he does that, my rival simply waits, unoffended.
I would be livid.
Instead, I can only sit by and watch the relationship unfold. I find it hard to believe that he is so callous to my feelings.
My only hope is that the relationship will cool over time. That more and more effort will be demanded of him before his needs are met. That the shiny newness of everything will wear off.
Oh yes. This is not his first dalliance. I've seen it before.

The last remote we had got lodged in the side of the recliner and several buttons were hopelessly jammed. We had to get a new one.
I, on the other hand, am still here.

No comments: